Smoking can trigger the risks of lung diseases, coronary heart diseases, stroke, cancer, diabetes, infertility can become the primary cause of your ailing health. At least 9 out of 10 lung cancer deaths are owing to smoking. Blockages caused by smoking can decrease blood flow to your legs, brain, lungs, heart and skin and can consequently have devastating health effects.
Quality of life in terms of health, work productivity, disease resistance is going down drastically, as smoking seems to take over the younger generations as well in its fold. Time has come to put your foot down and say no to this lethal addiction
It is imperative to arrest and obliterate this social malady of smoking with awareness and collective will power. Dr. Kaushik Ghosh, DTCD, Consultant Chest Physician, shares with Future Healthcare some useful insights and information about smoking, its cause and effects, and reasons for staying away from this deadly habit.
What is smoking?
Smoking is generally referred to the practice of burning tobacco smoke inhalation encased in cigarette, pipes and cigars.
What are the reasons for smoking?
Smoking has become a lifestyle statement today. Different factors like peer-pressure, the influence of role models and most importantly to younger and impressionable generation, smoking is a trending style
What are effects of smoking?
Smoking may scale-up the chances of following diseases:
- Coronary heart disease
- Heart attack
- Auto immune disease like rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Bad breath and gum disease
- Peptic ulcer
- Cancer in throat and lung
What are the effects of smoking during pregnancy?
The child in the womb may be adversely affected by smoking of the pregnant mother. Some of the possible consequences of such an action by the mother can be:
- Premature birth
- Impaired brain development
- Lower birth weight
- Respiratory diseases
What are the effects of nicotine smoking?
Nicotine is a powerful drug and 8-9 mg of this ingredient is found in each cigarette. This drug if used for addiction or for lifestyle inducements can cause havoc to your overall health. Some of its toxic effects on health are:
- Increase in heartbeat
- Increases blood pressure
- Adrenaline glands pumps out adrenaline hormone
- Metabolic rates increase
- Electrical activity in the brain changes
- Infertility issues for both men and women
How does cigarette smoking affect beginner smokers?
To the beginners smoking can induce disconcerting effects like:
What are the benefits of quitting smoking?
Research validates some phenomenal health benefits for butting smoking:
- In 12 hours, your carbon monoxide level in blood returns to normal
- In 2-12 weeks, your blood circulation and lung function begin to improve
- In 1 year, your risk of having a heart attack is reduced by half
- In 5 years, risk of a stroke is reduced to the same risk as a person who never smoked.
- In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer is reduced.
- In 15 years, your risk of heart disease is that of a nonsmoker
- Food tastes better
- You get more energy
Dr. Kaushik Ghosh
Consultant Chest Physician